Mavis Ehlert 1922-2007 Mavis was born in England where She studied commercial art and sculpture at St. Martin's School of Art and Chelsea School of Art. She taught sculpture and ceramics at the Jewish Community Centre, Sherwood and Central Secondary School. Contribution to community: Ancaster residents are proud of Mavis Ehlert's sculpture known as Dianne that sits on a boulder outside their library. Hamilton residents enjoy her statue of a little boy called Reflections that belongs to the Hamilton Public Library. She made theatre props from papier mache. She made Elmer the Elephant for the Hamilton Police plus two rabbits named Downy and Towny, and a giant snowman for the Winter Carnival that were worn to promote Hamilton. Background: Mavis Ehlert, who was the only Hamilton artist to exhibit at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts in 1967 was a valued member of the Artisan Guild of Hamilton and the Sculpture Society of Canada. Mavis was presented with a plaque for her Contribution to the Artistic Community by CJJD radio, (now known as CHAM), CKOC and CREATIVE ARTS. A head of Terry Fox belongs to St. Joseph Hospital, and one of Queen Elizabeth belongs to the Mohawk Chapel. Exhibits: First exhibit at the Westdale Gallery in 1966, exhibit with Emily Carr at Hamilton Art Gallery, other exhibits in Oakville, Burlington, Simcoe and Grimsby Art Gallery. Regular exhibits at the J.B.Aird Gallery in Toronto. Last exhibit was at the Carnegie Gallery in Dundas. Mrs. Ehlert who would sketch people at the beach can be found in Wikipedia.